Saturday, January 24, 2009

Identity Crisis?

So, today I attempted to get a Pennsylvania driver's license. Let's just say that I still have my NC one and I have to try again! Long story or short??? Let me just spell it out. My parents (love you guys) named me Diane Michelle Wicker and, lovingly, decided to call me Michelle. This caused me some headache during school, but not a lot, it was manageable. When I married Blaine's dad, I dropped the Diane and was from then on, on EVERY legal document, Michelle Wicker Cooper. I kept that name after our divorce and had it for about 9 years, until Joe and I married in 2006. At that point, I was faced with another name change. I did not want to be Michelle Cooper Davis or even Michelle Wicker Davis. So, I decided I would add back in my first name as my middle name..Michelle Diane Davis. All was well, Social Security Admin allowed it, NCDMV allowed it, IRS is stil taking my taxes, etc! Fast forward three years to today. The state of Pennsylvania did not like this name switcheroo and said that it looks like I am two different people. My birth certificate says Diane Michelle Wicker. My SS card says Michelle Diane Davis. UGH! I did not have a copy of my marriage license with me at the time, but I am going to go back with it and try again. Unfortunately, I waited 1 1/2 hours just to be seen over there on a Saturday. That was way fun, as you can imagine! Whitney was an angel, thankfully. We left and headed down to the Valley Square Shops to have lunch with Daddy and shop for a bit. At least that part was fun. I got her some clothes at Gymboree (mega sale, plus $25 in Gym bucks). Bath and Body Works was also having a sale, so now I have good smelling room fragrance, body wash, and bubble bath! NY and CO did not impress, much to my dismay (this is usually my favorite shop). We did, however, buy some GIRL SCOUT cookies right in the GYMBOREE!

One more note: I have the greatest job ever! This is almost as good as teaching and working magic for my students in the classroom! I am going to PETE and C(Pennsylania Educational Technology Expo and Conference) in February. I did not have to ask, beg, or anything, my boss approached me and wanted me to go! It is in Hershey, which is a bigger bonus. I can't wait..it is going to be a thrill to go to meaningful workshops and know that I can take that knowledge and information back to the Intermediate Unit and use it for good! Among other projects, I am part of the Differentiated Instruction Technology Academy at the IU (I will be leading a session on podcasting), and I will be presenting in June on Teaching Math to Diverse Learners. Exciting, exciting! I know that it my job now as a Training Consultant, but it is SO cool to be able to do this ALL the time and be my primary focus instead of just something that I do sometimes, when I have the time and am not bogged down with something else. It is SO refreshing and fun to be a part of something bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment